Monday, March 4, 2013

Entry 3 - Coordinating My Management of Meaning

"Dream" by Chibionpu

Coordinated Management of Meaning says that "Persons in conversation co-construct their own social realities and are simultaneously shaped by the worlds they create."

The way I see the world has been influenced by conversations - conversations with family, friends, animals, books, movies, music, myself, and God. My view of reality is often skewed and is different with each relationship. 

With my father, I am left thinking that all men are proud and stubborn. It is a perception that has been hard to live with properly; I've taken on the unhealthy habits of complaining and disrespect. This social reality has seeped into my relationship with my fiance, even though he is very different from my father. 

With my sister and with our best friend, I see the world as a carefree place - full of beautiful sunny days with chilly mornings to soak in, lush vegetation to lose dolls in, and shopping malls to buy-out. It's a much more positive outlook, yet it can leave me with unrealistic expectations when the realities of school and budgets and hot, hot Arizona whack me in the face.

In Tangled, Rapunzel and Flynn create are at the beginning of their social reality, where "it's warm and real and bright." In the picture above, an artist portrays Rapunzel seeing the world as a marvelous place, despite the negative descriptions she received from Mother Gothel. Her conversation with nature and the lanterns gives her a hopeful outlook on a world she longs to be part of.

Our social realities are real to us and important to examine. There is nothing wrong with dreaming for a brighter world, but we should brace ourselves for impact so we can have endurance during life's darker times. Thankfully, truth and hope about reality are found in God.

No comments:

Post a Comment